serves 4 as a side dish
For the Quinoa
1 ½ cups dry quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
2 dried bay leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Mushroom Mixture
¼ cup olive oil
1 bunch ramps, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 medium shallots, peeled and finely minced
1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves (from 1 small bunch)
1 lb. shitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
1/2 cup raw whole almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup raw whole pecans, roughly chopped
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
- If you have a rice cooker combine the quinoa, water, bay leaves and salt and cook until done.
- If you don’t: Combine quinoa, water, bay leaves and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. About 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let quinoa sit covered while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil in sauté pan over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the ramps (or shallots) and fresh thyme leaves. Cook until soft but not browned.
- Add the sliced shiitakes, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Place quinoa in a serving bowl and add shiitake mixture, almonds, pecans, and parsley. Mix well to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.